Monday 3 December 2007

It was suggested to me by a friend that I should write more. This is funny, as I
can’t write a thank you letter without hundreds of mistakes in it. Although I am very creative, I express my words through the marks I make on the canvas. The canvas is my blank empty page. Ready to tell an untold story – not sure what’s the beginning or how it’s going to end. I can’t really communicate with strangers. As I have a speech difficulty, my paintings are my words, my voice.

I’m waiting to receive a text. The fact I can’t pick up the phone to call someone for the reply to my simple question is frustrating me. The phone beeps. I stumble around the Nokia brick with my shaky hands trying to unlock the phone, got to have quick reactions to unlock this phone.
‘1 received message’.
After a couple of minutes, I manage to unlock it. I open the message, and it’s not from the person whom I am waiting to hear from. I quickly text a reply back and go to the laptop.

Finding the website Facebook is like finding my proper voice. A voice that everyone can understand. I can pretend I am able-bodied on it. Nobody asks you to tick a box saying ‘Are you disabled?’ I love it, I can talk to people who I wouldn’t never dream of phoning.I’m in town and I need to know how to get somewhere. I start asking a stranger the question and as I start to speak and I notice the person’s scared look in their eyes, their blank expression on their faces. I wait a moment in silence and suddenly they nod and agree with me. I wait a bit longer, for an answer, which never seems to come. After a moment I realise I will never get my answer to my question. Should I repeat myself? I catch their eye again and with a deep breath I slowly repeat my question. I will stand here all day and repeat myself over and over again if I have to, if that what it takes for them to understand me. Then the statue like figure in front of me finally loosen up and I hold my breath for an answer…Back in my studio I reflected on what has just happened. I splash some paint on the canvas and I realised I’m back. I’m back in my world again.

1 comment:

emapple said...

hello lovely lucy,
good to see you in the blogging world.

And don't worry, you write beautifully and honestly. It's a great insight both into your creative life and your life as a disabled woman.

love youxxx